170 Squadron
Three Bombers
No. 170 Squadron RAF was a Second World War Royal Air Force squadron that operated the North American Mustang in the fighter-reconnaissance role and later the Avro Lancaster as part of Bomber Command.

Motto: "Videre non videri" ("To see (and) not be seen").

Badge: Issuant from a helmet affrontée, the vizor closed, a plume of three ostrich feathers. The helmet with its vizor closed suggests seeing without being seen. The facing position indicates the fact that the squadron "Is always ready to face the enemy". The plume of ostrich feathers of the Guards' colours commemorates the fact that the unit was formed to co-operate with the Guards Armoured Division.

Authority: King George VI, January 1944.

170sqn-600
No. 170 Squadron was re-formed on 15 October 1944 at RAF Kelstern from C Flight of 625 Squadron, moving shortly to RAF Dunholme Lodge then again to RAF Hemswell. Equipped with the four-engined Avro Lancaster heavy bomber it was soon operating as part of the Bomber Command offensive over Germany through the winter of 1944/45. As the risk from German fighters grew less it also operated daylight raids. It only operated as a heavy bomber unit for six months but flew 980 sorties with the loss of 13 Lancasters. Following its last raid on 25 April 1945 against Berchtesgaden it concentrated on dropping relief supplies into the Netherlands and transporting prisoners of war and troops back to England from Germany. With its job done it was disbanded on 14 November 1945.


Video on the history of 170 Squadron


A unique record of the nightly air raids made on Germany during World War II. Archive colour footage from No. 1 Group, Royal Air Force operating Avro Lancaster bombers, in action, winter 1943. In the winter of 1943, RAF Bomber Command was sending massive raids almost every night into the heart of Germany. This is the story of one of them, an attack on Berlin. Although certain scenes had to be re-created for technical reasons, make no mistake, the raid is a real one and there are no actors.

Made by Air Commodore H.I. Cozens while station commander at Hemswell. This is the Only known colour record of the Bomber Command during WWII documenting a bombing raid targeting Berlin.